November 22, 2010

Designing

roughly pinned out
This is tough work - this designing gig.  I've done it a couple of times before - with the pink girly girl socks (I still haven't worn them) and my ravelympics socks.  I've also designed and published a cowl pattern.


Closer - you can almost see what I see
But now I'm working on a shawl.  I can see exactly what I want - but I'm not sure it's coming through in the knitting - of course it might be too soon to tell.  I've only worked 2 repeats of the border pattern.  Trying to work the increases is and keep a lace pattern in the middle is a bit difficult.  I have no idea how I'll write this up as a pattern. 

There are three different stitch patterns being used - one with a 2 row repeat, one with an 8 row repeat and one with a 14 row repeat.  Whew!  And then there's the increases and how to space them to keep the shape that I see in my mind and will the decreases work and shape it the same way?  I'm also not sure I'm sold on the size of the cast on edge - it's seems wide.  However, I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking it.

6 comments :

  1. Border's on the right, right?

    I don't know what you're visualizing, but that looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get your concept and I would knit it, I like it a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about designing a couple times, but it seemed like too much work. I can usually find a pattern or two already figured out and put them together to get what I want. Guess I'm just lazy. I do design cross stitch patterns and some sewing patterns, does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know nothing about knitting, but I do know that it's very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - I've yet to attempt even following a lacy shawl pattern and here you are designing one. It looks really great and I like the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you've got so far looks really pretty. But my brain hurts now just thinking about the rest of it. LOL
    I'll leave the designing of complicated patterns to the rest of you & I'll just knit 'em. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs