April 20, 2007

Inspiration

When I wrote that, all I could think about was the "Anticipation" song and a bottle of catsup. Obviously - I need a nap! Yesterday I got an email from Talbots. As I have been chatting about recently. I need some new white t-shirts. While it's really hard to see the detail in this one, I really like it. It has a very curved underbust seam. Then there is banding on both sides of the front bust - they are pintucked. I have a couple of patterns in mind. But I'm not sure how well they would work. What do you all think? I own the Kwik Sew Pattern 3419 shown on the right. I have made it up before and I like the fit. It was easy to make and is very comfortable to wear. What I don't particularly like about it - I'm not sure how to change the underbust seam from a straight seam to a curved seam. Also, the KS pattern has gathers in the top piece. However, it also have a v-neck included.
The other pattern I have been looking at that I think would work is Butterick 4973. I don't have this pattern, but I'm sure somebody is having a sale! The problems with this pattern is the gathering in the body portion - under the seam, no V-neck included. But the seam is curved.
Maybe it's time I learned how to 'morph' 2 patterns to create exactly what I want. Anybody want to volunteer to teach me?

3 comments :

  1. As you know there are lots of potential ways to morph patterns together:
    1. Borrow the cuffs, collars, bands, yokes, neckline, lapels, belt etc. from one pattern and use that element with another pattern with a semi-compatible design.
    2. Use sleeves from another pattern: Need to make sure armhole of borrowed sleeve matches up with garment armsceye--may need to redraw the sleeve curve to fit; or redraw the armscye to fit.
    3. Raise or lower a waist; put in or take out gathers by borrowing a similar pattern piece from another pattern and using instead of the pattern piece on your main pattern. As always, you probably have to make some adjustments to the main pattern in order for the morphed section(s) to fit at the key intersections of seams etc.
    4. Use the front of one pattern and the back of another pattern--or just parts of the back or front and change the design of a pattern.

    In the queue for me is a morph between Vogue jacket 8373 (the front and sleeves) and Vogue jacket 8331 (the back). I wanted a fitted jacket in the front and back so this is what I came up with. I will have to make sure the seams match up etc. and do some tweeking, but it should work. I wish I could post a photo of the patterns but you can look them up.

    Does that help a little bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaylen, I thought of a few more details for morphing patterns while cleaning up my sewing room this afternoon.

    1. Straight grain--make sure the grain lines remain true to the drafting so the lines don't accidentally become distorted when morphing pattern pieces. However, consider using the cross grain instead of the straight gain at times in order to get better use of certain fabric--such as turning a horizontal border into a vertical border etc.

    2. Take a blouse and lengthen it to make a dress--or reverse--shorten a dress to make a blouse

    3. Make a vest out of a jacket pattern--or add sleeves to a vest pattern

    4. change the style of a dress bodice to fit a different type of skirt bottom--literally move the entire sections to fit another top or bottom

    5. Use the shaping from one pattern and transfer the shaping to another similar pattern. Transfer darts, tucks, or gathers, neckline shaping, sleeve head shape to another pattern instead of using the shaping provided with that pattern.

    5. Do a little bit of your own drafting starting with a standard pattern or two to copy a RTW garment you love.

    I hope some other readers will provide more content to this topic of morphing patterns. I have had a lot of fun doing it. Thanks Gaylen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more time!!

    Since you were really asking for specific info about the tee you would like to create:

    You know what I would be inclined to do is to work with the Kwik Sew pattern and see if you can do a couple of muslins and eventually get to the shape you want.
    1. Redrafted the shape of the Kwik Sew neckline to have the blunt middle
    2. Redraft the shape of the upper and lower bodice to form more of the rounded shape of the RTW--then sew this up with the gathers to see if the shape is about right for neckline and bodice.
    3. Turn the gathers into pin tucks and do a second muslin--the second muslin would have all 3 elements changed.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs