March 2, 2009

Lemon Chicken

I love Marjie's food posts. While I rarely vary from my normal menu, I'm always inspired by her food. This is a recipe that JB has been cooking for years. He learned to make it in Grade 11 Foods Class (yep, he's Canadian). It's super easy, really good and we often use it as a company meal. First, take boneless, skinless chicken. The original recipe only used thighs, but we mix breasts and thighs now. Then bread it in flour. Usually I just rinse it off, pat it dry and then toss it in seasoned flour. Whatever seasoning you desire. Last night I used garlic, salt and pepper and Herbs d'Province. Brown the chicken in a frying pan, electric skillet or I suppose you could modify this to broil it :) While the chicken in browning, heat up chicken broth (or make your own) about 3 cups worth. Once the chicken has browned on both sides, pour the hot broth over the chicken and add about a cup of lemon juice (this is going to depend on how lemony and tart you like things). Loosen all the flour bits in the bottom of the pan, turn the heat down and put a lid, letting it simmer while you cook rice. Occasionally you want to check on the chicken and stir the sauce. Making sure there are no stuck bits. The flour will cause the broth to thicken.
When the rice is done and the chicken is cooked through, put a bed of rice on the plate, top with a piece of chicken or 3 and pour the thickened lemon gravy over the top. I served with a simple green salad last night. But any green veggie would work. Enjoy :)

6 comments :

  1. Yum, sounds good. The weekend was cold and snowy so I made a pot roast. Tonight Rob wants Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. That even sounds easy enough for me to try! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Knight would eat that... I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this may replace my previous plans for tomorrow night's chicken...Mark was just complaining that we don't have enough lemon chicken. Can't believe they taught JB to cook in high school. My dearly beloved is incompetent beyond sunny side up eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum yum!! I would like to try this.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs