August 17, 2008

Ooops!

Remember this skirt? I love it! I wear it often, although I'm not really a red person. I had pre-washed the fabric prior to cutting and the red bled a little into the white. It really wasn't noticeable, but it bothered me. So, today I plunged it into a sink full of luke-warm water and some dye remover product. All would have been fine, if I hadn't gotten side-tracked with cleaning up the yard and then holding lumber so somebody (coughJBcough) could build the extension for our deck. Well, when I finally made it back into the house, I about hyperventilated. My skirt was a light orange! Ooops. There were still some spots of red. So I rinsed it, and did it again. Trying to get rid of all the red. Then I rinsed it again, threw it in the washer and dryer. It is now a very bold printed orangish brown. The white however, is really bright white! So, I think I'll be pulling Kashi's card from my wallet to see if I can get another red length of this fabric and trying again. Anyone know of a good way to keep red from bleeding. In case you care - this is how my skirt looks now:

11 comments :

  1. Oh no! Well, if it makes you feel any better, the skirt still looks really pretty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet had to try it, but one of the girls at work told me she puts a tablespoon or so of salt in with her wash of any bright fabrics, none bled on her yet.
    Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that actually looks really cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!!! How annoying that must have been. I LOVED that red fabric. Hopefully, you can get some replacement fabric that is color fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Retayne is great for setting colors. treat the fabric with Retayne before you even cut it out.

    i liked the red, but i'm a "red" girl...however, it looks great as orangish brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH NO! I'm sorry... I like it though, I really do... Hope you get more of the fabric though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! I'm sorry you lost your red, but the new color is actually pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so sad! I'm not an orange person, either. It's still an interesting pattern, but I hope you can get more red.

    I bought a skirt I liked, years ago, but it was orange. So I put it in a sinkful of water with about 1/4 cup bleach, and it turned yellow. Very peculiar, but I wore that sucker out! I've never had a red print anything, so I can't help with the red bleed issue - sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! At least it's still a very adorable skirt, just not quite the color you want. I used to soak my bright cottons in salt until the dye set, but I don't remember how much, etc. I'd check out the Retayne that mermaids suggested. Looks like Dharma Trading carries it. Hope you can get more of your red fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know much about dyes, I'll admit, but that skirt actually looks nice now too. What a journey you and it have traveled!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but I was just in the store yesterday and me no saw that print anymore...call him though maybe it was hidden behind something else...

    I have my fingers and toes crossed...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs