September 12, 2019

The Simplicity Dress

I don't know if you've figured this out yet or not, but Carolyn is a style icon for me.  Especially as her style has evolved at her 'new job,' I find her style really suits me in my role as Innkeeper. 

What you probably don't know is that Carolyn and I are friends in real life.  We chat daily and often, if I'm headed to the craft store for patterns, I'll pick some up for her as well.  Consequently, we have many of the same patterns and she generally sews them up first, but I beat her to the punch with Simplicity 8551.

During the Fall 2018 Sew Camp, I actually bought fabric to make this dress.  The fabric is a lightweight quilting cotton.  Handling it at FabricMart, I thought it had a bit more drape and would become really fluid with washing - I was wrong.  But I still love this dress.


When I originally cut this dress out, I added 5" to the sleeve length.  I ended up taking that out and I wish I hadn't.  The sleeves are just a tad too short for my liking - so I always push them up.  In my way of thinking - long sleeves are kinda like long hair: if you're always going to push them up they might as well be short. 

I had plans to sew this up right away and actually got around to it in November.  I asked for color suggestions for tights to wear with this dress in the winter and bought a pair of dark mustard colored leggings which I wear with it along with my favorite brown knee high boots. 


Other than the facing, there is nothing challenging about this dress.  The facing is interfaced, I did the sew the smooth side of the interfacing to the right side of the facing along the outside edges, then turn and fuse the interfacing into place.  This creates a much nicer edge than if I'd tried to turn it under evening and then just topstitch that edge into place.  Once the interfacing is applied, construct the facing as instructed. 


All in all, I really like this dress and could see more being added to my closet.  It's easy to wear and I feel put together and like myself while I'm making breakfast.  Because it has pockets, I can keep my phone with me while I'm cleaning rooms.  Since I push the sleeves up, they aren't dragging in any food.  So, on a scale of 1 -5; this pattern is a 5.  I'd like to try the view with the grommets in the neck facing - it's a fun look.  

6 comments :

  1. Okay I took these pictures and didn't realize it was that dress pattern! Also I have no idea where this pattern is in my collection so that means its time to stop buying patterns. Second, really style icon - that's funny but I love you anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - style icon!! I've gone from if Carolyn bought the fabric and you like it buy it - to the same situation with patterns! And I can't believe I sewed this one up before you. :)

      Delete
  2. Cute, I like it. I cannot imagine how many dresses you have in your closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. surprisingly, not that many. I get rid of loads when we moved and then a bunch more last summer when I wasn't wearing any of my fancy, fitted cotton work dresses. I really miss them. g

      Delete
  3. I like it! I loved that fabric when you bought it last year, and it turned out nicely. Sometimes drape is good, but sometimes it just makes your garment look like a used dishrag. I think this one needs a little body to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much for sewing it up Right Away! But I'm glad I got it done. I need to make another quick, or in the next 6 months or so . . . g

      Delete
LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs