September 19, 2019

Handmade Christmas

Since moving to the East Coast and becoming grandparents - our holidays celebrations have enlarged.  And I don't just mean by 1 baby!  See, our son in laws parents live close and everyone is wonderful and amazing and we do Christmas as a large group.

For years now, I have made both girls and our SIL flannel pants for Christmas.  This year, a boyfriend was added to the flannel pants list.  I also make the 3 of them a pair of hand knit socks.  But what in the world do I make for our SIL's parents?!

This year when I stumbled upon this photo from Emily Hallman on instagram - I knew what I needed to make for SIL's Mother!  Sadly, I'm pretty sure I didn't take many photos.


Then the question was what to make for SIL's Dad.  hmmm. . . .
They love to travel.  It's always so hard to find your luggage at the airport - I mean everyone has the same black or navy blue suitcase and they just get lost in the crowd - so luggage tags with the same monogram I used for the napkins I gave them last year.  Done!


You can just see the luggage tag that SIL's Mom hung from her bag for their Winter Get Away.  These tags fold in half and close with snaps.  On the inside, I used the alphabet function of my sewing machine to type their surname, address and a contact phone number.  I sandwiched the two pieces of fabric, right sides together with a length of ribbon for hanging.  Sewed, turned, topstitched and then sewed 2 snaps on each tag.  I made 6 in total.

Both of SIL's parents like to enjoy wine and they recently moved into a new house, so a set of wine themed travertine coasters was the final item included in their gift. 


I think they liked everything.  Now, what to make them next year?  hmmmmmm (currently taking suggestions).

4 comments :

  1. Great ideas. I am making flannel pants for everyone this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make flannel pants for everyone, every year. But it seems weird to make them for my SILs parents. no? g

      Delete
  2. It's hard, isn't it? I'm thinking of making those half round napkins for Diane this year, maybe 2 or 3 sets because she loves to entertain during the holiday season. If you haven't made those for SIL's parents, that would be good. Socks and gloves are tricky, because everyone's fussy, otherwise I'd suggest those nice fingerless gloves you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made them monogrammed napkins the first year and this was year 2. Now to start thinking about year 3 - they might like and use the tree napkins, hmmm . . . g

      Delete
LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs