April 4, 2019

Floral Vogue

So, many of you know that my daughter is an interior designer.  What does that have to do with my new top?  Well, let me tell you - I pulled this pattern - Vogue 8962 when I was looking for a pattern to make her some professional clothes for her birthday.  Turns out there wasn't enough fabric to make this up for her.  But the pattern remained front and center on my cutting table and it kept calling to me. 

Then, along came Carriage Corner Sew Camp and I had a few minutes to sew with the gang.  Pattern was sitting right there along with a beautiful, floral liverpool knit from FabricMart.  So, I did the only thing I could do - I cut it out! 


I mean - I cut the tissue.  I didn't even trace - which was a risky move because this is a pattern from 2013 and it's no longer available.  I quickly took some measurements (they hadn't changed!) and laid everything out.  Then I did some flat pattern measuring and decided that the top was going to be a smidge tight around my hips (I was wrong). 


There are no pictures of this next part - but this is what I did - I cut a straigh size 20 for the back yoke.  For the back, I cut a size 20 at the top going out to a 22 at the bottom of the armhole, then I "graded' between the 22 and a 26 at the bottom of the side seam.  I also added about an 1" to the bottom of the center back seam.  For the front I cut a 20 through the neckline and shoulders, out to the 22 at the bottom of the armhole, graded the side seam same as the back BUT I put the center front, cut on fold 1.5" away from the fold at the very bottom.  Does that make sense?  The top of the pattern was on the fold and I pivoted the entire piece so the bottom was 1 1/2" away from the fold.  For the sleeves, I cut a straight size 22 and just eased the extra in. 


This is an incredibly quick sewing project. and I love it!  While the neckline is a bit wide and would benefit from a band - it won't stop me from wearing it - in fact, I've already worn it 3 times - with jeans, black leggings and my ellis skirt! 

Photos in the post are courtesy of Carolyn - she always makes me laugh and takes great photos.  And - I've already made a second version of this top I liked it so much.  Will my daughter ever get a version for her professional wardrobe - remains to be seen.

10 comments :

  1. I love, love, love this top and couldn't believe how quickly you made it! Definitely add more of them to your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a quick and easy sew! As you know, I've already made another one for summer :) g

      Delete
  2. Very cute, wish I had time to sew for myself, just trying to keep up with the shop is all I can do. Yesterday was piles of hemming, and uniforms, suit alterations. Today it will be prom dresses, and zippers, I think I have 6 coat zippers to replace. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's important too. I don't think I could sew for others - as a living. g

      Delete
  3. That's adorable! So much for Carolyn not liking your florals. Maybe your daughter gets one, and maybe you'll just keep them for yourself. I just cut out a pattern from the same era, but I did trace it; I'm making a dress from a Fabric Mart purple. There was a floral in the same bag that will be coming up soon. I think I have 3 things cut and in line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I think Carolyn and I both bought this same floral. And, it's not that she doesn't like them, it's that I told her not to let me buy anymore florals because that's all I have. I love this top!

      Delete
  4. So Pretty! Love the floral print fabric you used. Perfect for spring. This pattern is one of my favorite tunic patterns. Easy to sew, comfortable and looks great. I did make the neckline smaller on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a sleeper - but it's gorgeous once it's sewn up! I see many more of these going into my closet. g

      Delete
  5. Love that print but the neckline would bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the neckline is really wide. I cut my second version smaller - so that helps, and you could always add a band rather than turning and stitching. g

      Delete
LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs