March 28, 2019

Knitting Bags for Vacation 2018

In 2017 one of my instagram friends from Seattle sent me a pattern she'd designed for bags.  It's a darling bucket bag and I made a few of them for Christmas gifts in 2017.  But then - I got inspired - see both of my girls knit.  I, personally, never get on an airplane or in the car for a long trip without at least 2 projects with me.  Seriously! 


So - I did what any self-respecting sewist would do 2 days before leaving on vacation - I decided to cut out and make 3 uptown bags!  I had shrunk the pattern just a little bit so it was the perfect size for a single skein shawl project or a pair of socks.  While there is no way to close this bag, it's also big enough to drop your phone & wallet into so you only need one bag with you. 


The outside of the bags are all the same, black background with knitting sheep on it.  The inside of two of them are pink and the third one is red.  The openings are bound with premade bias binding in red, pink or white. 


The girls had no idea they were getting these bags - which are great scrap busters (the lining - or reverse side, because they are totally reversible - is scraps from Christmas pants 2015).  Jessica chose her bag first and she picked the red lining - you can see her beautiful shawl coming out of the bag.  Krystle then picked the bag with pink lining and pink binding - she was busy knitting Eleanor's first birthday sweater!  My bag is in the middle and I was working on a pair of socks for the Christmas box - Christmas 2018 that is! 


I love that this is a hobby we share.  I also love having a knitting bag that is in so many of my holiday photos.  I think of the vacation when ever I pick the bag up to work on something - I hope that my girls have the same vacation memories when they use their knitting bags.  


Apparently - I'm into the behind the scenes photos right now!



8 comments :

  1. Love the pics of you and your girls knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks - I'm glad they both enjoy the hobby. I paid for my oldest, left handed daughter to take lessons because I couldn't teach her. She's a fearless knitter now. g

      Delete
  2. We can never have enough project bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that! I just emptied a bunch of mine - either by finishing the project or ripping it - the project not the bag :D g

      Delete
  3. Love this! (Bag pattern link? I’m finding several bags with that name, and none look like yours)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb - Krist (71stitches on IG) designed this bag. The name is the Upscale Tote and it's available at Ruby Street Quiltworks.

      https://www.instagram.com/p/BsZPZxKnf70/

      Delete
  4. The matching bags are such a great idea! I noticed your knitting bags lined up along the bench in your gift shop, and thought they were pretty. It's nice that your girls knit, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just not much of a sales person - I thought for a minute that I could make bags with some of my cotton fabric stash and sell them, but . . . . g

      Delete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs