February 5, 2010

BanaCoCo Bread

Using Marjie's method of naming food based on the ingredients included and then being lazy - I've shortened the name of this bread from Banana Coconut. The recipe comes from a book called Company's Coming by Jean Pare. I've had this book for a long time because there are notes that I first made this bread for Christmas 1995 and then again in 97. Back then I made mini loafs of bread and fresh jam as gifts for the family. Back then I even grew the berries to make the jam. Now my family is lucky to get bread. This bread is super easy and quick. Here you go: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar 1/2 cup melted butter 1 cup mashed ripe bananas 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring (I used vanilla) 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1/2 cup medium coconut (this time I used flaked coconut - more like 3/4 cup) 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (we used about 3/4 cup) 1/2 chopped maraschino cherries - left them out. Break eggs in mixing bowl. Beat until light and frothy. Add sugar and melted butter. Beat well. Stir in mashed banana and almond flavoring. Measure remaining ingredients into another bowl. Stir until well mixed. Pour over batter. Stir just to combine. Spoon into greased loaf pan. Bake in 350* over for 1 hour until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Let cool before cutting - like that's going to happen! Enjoy.

8 comments :

  1. That sounds really good, sort of Hawaiian Bread. I'm going to make some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! Good job with the name, too. Glad I'm not the only one who writes notes in her cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A must-make... just as soon as I can get Gretchen and the Knight to allow some nanners to ripen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I have some bananas that need to be used. Looks quite yummy:) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummo, I will drool from afar (fibre in cocoa nut anything and nuts an issue for mickle innards), but .....

    WOW, hope you've enjoyed each crumb of it, coz it looks so delicimo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delish and I think my kids would even eat it! Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs