May 25, 2006

Cutting Bonanza

I decided to work with the simplicity pattern that I already had. I found some pretty white fabric, not exactly what I wanted, but it will work. I will continue to look for the perfect white fabric, but in the meantime . . . Last Friday I made a cute skirt from this Simplicity pattern. I made the mid-length skirt as it's cut on the straight of grain. I did make a muslin and found that I needed to put fish-eye darts in the back waist piece. Next time I will also shape the sides of both waist pieces for just a little less give around the middle. The waist is cut on the bias and has a drawstring. Couple of things - grommets would work way better than buttonholes. If you are going to use botton holes, position them vertically, not horizontally. On me, those horizontal buttonholes take a whole lot of stress, and I can't really get the top of the skirt to be tight enough. Also I put elastic, just short of half my waist measurement in the back of the skirt and stitched in the side seam ditches to anchor it. I have a cut border print demin for another skirt from this pattern. I also got a cute tone on tone embroidered blue linen to make the long version. Just have to decide if I should cute the skirt piece straight or on the bias. The pattern lets you do it either way. Then we went to the beach for a couple of days. It was cold and I was sick. So not alot of fun was had. But JB and I had a chance to reconnect. Important stuff when you've been together for 14 years, each have your own kids and have 4 dogs!!! It was a long trip in the car to get to the beach and I finished one sleeve on the way down and the other on the way home. So the pink wool-ease sweater I've been working on just needs blocking, seaming and the neck finished. Piece of Cake! On Tuesday, which was my last official day of vacation. I had a lazy morning, cleaned house and then hit the sewing room. I cut out an LH Swing Skirt, short skirt, long flounce and a top from the Simplicity pattern on the left. This top was super easy! Even with the 'works better with knits tricks' I've learned lately. The fabric was a blue stretch from fabric.com which I ordered long ago as a treat for me when I ordered the fabric for The Princesses prom dress. Anyway - it matches great with the skirt made on Friday. Both of which are being worn to work today with plain white Keds. I also cut a print from Vogue Fabrics which I have had since the first SWAP contest back in 2003. I loved this fabric, but nothing worked with it. Well - now it will work for my ASG Challenge SWAP. I cut out a skirt with a flounce on the bottom and a short sleeved Santa Monica tee. This will make a fun outfit. I have a great ruby red boucle knit that coordinates great and will use for the Capri Jacket. I also think I have some wonderful sage green knit - enough originally for a twin set - which would work with both the skirt and jacket. I can see that I'm going to have to pile fabrics and photograph them. Okay - look for 'real' photos to be added soon. I'm sewing again, making clothing that fits and it feels great!!!

1 comment :

  1. Gaylen,

    It seems as if you have gotten your sewing mojo back! Can't wait to see pictures of the fabrics and the finished garments. Hope your vacation was fun!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs