May 9, 2022

Style Arc Hope Woven Dress

 Just like most of my stories, this one begins with something that Carolyn introduced me to.  This time, it was a new account on Instagram that I wasn't following.  I'm willing to be that you already follow Birdy-Sew-Obsessed, but I didn't before Carolyn and I were chatting about something she made.

I followed as Birdy made a Style Arc Hope Woven Dress in her stories and loved it!  It absolutely didn't hurt that she made hers from black and white gingham and I'm still in need of replacing my absolute favorite dress.


This all must have happened around October last year, because I was on a mission to replace my black and white gingham ESP by Decades of Style.  Also, if you've made this dress and like me, think the neckline is too high, see the 2015 post linked about for how to lower the neckline and adjust the sleeves.

Because I've fussed with the bodice of my ESP pattern since making the Picnic Dress, I know that the bodice needs some fine tuning before I'm really happy with it again.  And for the record - I still wear that dress I made in 2015 because I have yet to make another fabulous dress.  Anyway . . . 

I received a gift certificate for my birthday and used it to buy the Hope Woven Dress pattern.  Then I carefully took my measurements and using the finished garment measurement decided which size to make.  I then pulled a really fun floral linen bought at FabricMart during a #CarriageCornerSewCamp


The dress is a quick sew - even adding pockets.  I use this method of putting pockets in skirts and pants.  It's really easy. Also, using Teri's method for putting in the pockets, still lets you add pockets, even when you don't have enough fabric.  In fact, I often use complimentary fabric for the first piece sewn on.  The only step I do that Teri doesn't show in the story highlight I linked to (Sorry if you aren't on instagram, I couldn't find any video's for putting pockets in this way.) is that I like to also sew my pockets to the front of whatever I'm making.  The benefit of this is that when you put your phone in your pocket, the weight doesn't pull the pocket down pulling everything out of alignment.   Also, don't make your pocket opening too large, just large enough for your hand.


If I remember correctly, the changes I made were to cut the back on the fold eliminating the button loop closure and I lowered the neckline a little bit. For future versions, I would like to try lengthening the sleeves about an inch.


Also, because this dress has a full gathered skirt - I didn't use the skirt pieces.  I just gathered 2 full width lengths of my fabric.  Clear as mud, right?

I don't think the photos show how truly oversized this dress is on me.  Even using the closed finish garment measurements vs my pattern size.  But I love this dress - the print makes it fun, the full skirt and full gathered sleeves give it drama and it has pockets! 

In my search for the perfect gingham to remake my favorite dress, I bought a purple uneven plaid.  I retraced the bodice 2 sizes smaller to get a closer fit.  Well, that ended up with very unattractive folds going from the bust to the bottom of the raglan seam.  I finished that dress as a maxi and gave it to my daughter - who says it's too large (also maybe a little bit sister-wife-ish).  But I will keep trying to get a fit closer to what Lisa from Mabel the Mannequin has achieved.

So, I'm curious - what do you think about this sorta shapeless dress trend?  I like it, but I think it can be hard to pull off well.  Of course, it absolutely won't stop me from trying ;)

9 comments :

  1. I think that dress is darling, plus the fact that it is bigger makes it cooler as it flows in the hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's perfectly fine when a pattern clearly described as loose fitting gives you a loose dress, on fact the opposite would be hugely disappointing. It should fall squarely on the user to pick a pattern that corresponds to the kind of fit they want

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the pattern is completely as advertised. And it's comfy and fluffy and has all the right fun piece. I guess, I've just seen too many still IG photos where the bodice seems to fit a little closer and I'd like to achieve that. I'll still wear this dress, in fact I wear it once a week it's perfect for moving around the kitchen cooking and then cleaning rooms. g

      Delete
  3. This dress is a winner, IMHO. Glad to see you are blogging regularly again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty! It's so hard to start blogging again when you haven't for some time. But I really do miss it. Also, so much of my sewing is for the grands and their parents don't want their faces out there, I get that, but without a kid sized mannequin - how do you share those garments? g

      ps - thanks for the comments on the dress. I really do love it.

      Delete
  4. I like the style, especially the sleeves. A roomy flowing dress in the summer is my preference. My question though 'is the bodice roomy enough to accommodate my large bust?'. Usually, dresses like this look like maternity wear on me. I could lower the waistline and add a two inch waistband, but then I will be changing the style of the dress. It looks good on you. The style makes you want more than one rendition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This style definitely makes me want more than one. I think, if my bust was any larger, I would add some shallow bust darts in the front to take some of the fullness out there. Then just gather the skirt to fit! The sleeves are glorious. On the purple plaid version, my daughter decided she didn't want the elastic, so I took 3 deep tucks at the sleeve. It looks cute, different and shows off the fullness.

      Delete
  5. I love this dress and it is so pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs