April 26, 2018

Just Another Bowling Shirt

I really have to come up with some way to spice up these shirts for JB.  Honestly - I'm getting bored with sewing them and I'm sure you're tired of reading about them.  Honestly, there is nothing new to say.  I'm still using McCalls 4399 and just changing up the fabrics, buttons and how I sew the hems and button bands - as in accents with the thread. 


This fabric was a quilting cotton that I purchased at the craft store probably 5 years ago.  I liked the print.  I bought 4 yards - which is honestly about 1/2 yard too much, but I like knowing I can match the print across the button bands.  Once I got fussy about matching the pattern across the button bands, I started cutting the shirt out from a single layer of fabric.  I have a full back pattern piece and only 1 front pattern, 1 sleeve and 1 collar.  Oh and the pocket pattern which I trace off several.  I did a blog post back in October about how I match the pattern - you can read it here.  So far, I haven't been too worried about matching the print up across the side seams, but I imagine that's coming next.  


In this photo - JB is showing you the barn door he installed over the panty opening in the B&B.  He did a great job.  That door gets so many comments.  


Nobody know what's he's doing here.  But he was ready for me to snap the photo so he could breathe!  Doesn't this fabric scream tropical vacation?  


In this photo, you can see I nailed the print matching!  Also - can you spot the pocket?  This shirt has one.  In fact, all of his recent shirts have a pocket - he needs someplace to keep his glasses!  The buttons were in a baggie of shirt buttons I either added from a FabricMart purchase or from Fashion Sewing Supply - I can't remember which.  They were perfect for this shirt.  I always add 7 buttons, so they are spaced a little closer than the pattern indicates.  I use my simflex for positioning the buttons evenly up the placket and start the first one at the bottom, the same distance as the side slits.  
 

5 comments :

  1. I like the shirt, would love to do one for Hub's with fish on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why change it up when it works so well? His shirts look good, and I don't think men care that much what they wear. Last year, my dearly beloved went through a phase where he would wear anything, as long as it was a long sleeved white oxford cloth dress shirt. Hello, Penneys! Send me 6 of those, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the coolest shirts and while I know you're tired of sewing them...they really speak to your print matching skills! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shirts are always fun to see!! And your print matching?!?! GAHHHHHH! It is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice matching! I should make a few shirts for Rob.

    ReplyDelete
LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs