April 18, 2013

Butterick 5794


This was another quick dress. I barely had enough fabric to make the dress.

The pattern is B5794 (Duh, G - you said that in the title!).   The fabric was some mid-weight jersey that was in the cupboard. 

I made view D.  I have plenty of cross over bodices and wrap dresses - so I really didn't need another dress with that look. 

You will notice that my version is different that the modeled version.  Well I didn't have enough fabric to make the ties as long as they were called for in the pattern.  And then I didn't love how they looked tied.  I'm thinking my fabric was a bit thicker than the drawing photo. 

Then - I got it mostly done without finishing the hems. And left it sit on the ironing board for a week.  Also - I decided that since I wasn't going to tie it I would make a 'knot.'  But then a week ago Tuesday I went down to grab the garbage from the sewing room and scooped up all the scraps and put them out with the trash.  UGH.  No extra fabric for the knot.  The sleeves were originally going to be 3/4 length.  I'm not sure about how I feel about the finished length.  They were comfortable enough all day - but they look a bit awkward in these photos.  What do you think?

I think I will make this dress up again - but most likely in a more stable knit. 

The side view?  Yea JB said - do you need a side shot?  And I said yes, what do I do with my arms?  What *DO* you do with your arms for a side view? 






13 comments :

  1. I actually like that length sleeve for personal wear, and it looks fine on you! I like the dress and the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful color of the dress. What you do with your arms...you put your hands on your chin and look coy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your dress, it looks wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed your link and looked at the other versions of the dress and I like this dress too! Am not very keen on the differing hemline length of version A and C. I quite like the shorter tie too! Bravo again! As to arms... tossling ones hair as though in a shampoo commercial perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arms - I either put them behind my back or I put one on my stomach (pressing it in lightly! *LOL* Hey I need all the help I can get!) and let one hang.

    I love the color of the dress and the sleeves don't bother me at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty dress and I love the color. I'm not sure about the sleeve length. Sleeves are such an individual thing, whatever's comfortable on each of us. If they feel good, they are good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the color, and the style is great. I think a knot is better than a bow anyway on people "our age". And JB should take pictures from plenty of angles so you can choose which you like. Arms in side shots are tricky, but I like Carolyn's suggestion. Hope your new job is still going well; I think this dress style should work well in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it all - color, style, tie, sleeves. No help on the arm thing - you've seen my pics LOL !

    ReplyDelete
  9. you could do a superman pose, arms up, up and away! (i'm kidding though.) i love the color so much! looks really cute =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great dress. You made me check out the pattern (thanks for the link). Great colour on you. I think the sleeve length is just fine. Also like the way you have the ties. I wouldn't put it in a bow either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the robin-egg blue, and it's gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prefer the knot to a bow - it looks great. The sleeves are fine as well. Sometimes when we are in the middle of making something we are "too close" to it, asnd sort of hate the thing - but it's usually okay, just not what we originally had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The knot is definitely the way to go! Side shots are hard- I second the superman idea ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs