March 2, 2016

The Fabric The Wouldn't Run Out



I bought this fabric at District Fabrics over Labor Day weekend 2015.  I really can't decide if it's a really plush ponte or a scuba - but I like it.  I loved the print and all the colors in it.  You've seen the first dress from this fabric - and honestly this fabric was always meant to be that dress.  I can't remember if I bought 3 or 4 yards, but I'm guessing based on how garments I got from it that I bought 4 yards.  

In October - I cut into it.  I started with the dress.  Then I cut a magic pencil skirt for Krystle (I'm hopeful she'll send me some outfit photos so I can blog that one too). 

Then I decided to make another Madeleine Ponte Top from Style Arc Patterns.  I'm happy to say I've made more clothes in the past year than my blog posts would leave you to believe.  The first version was black and I made it following the pattern exactly.   If you look closely at the line drawing at the bottom of the post, you'll see I did some things differently this time. 

For starters - I took my french curve and cut the neckline lower.  
Next - I sewed the back up without a zipper - I mean, the top is made from a knit - a fairly stable knit, but a knit none-the-less.

Then - I used bias to finish the neckline and armholes rather than the bands.  


And - I cut both the upper and lower back pieces on the fold.

Finally - I left the little under triangle off as well as the bands.

There are still issues with this top - the upper chest is a bit wide on me.  I need to take a wedge out, wider at the top, tapering to nothing at the bust and the armholes gape a bit.  But under a cardigan - it's fine.  And based on those back wrinkles - I can't decide if I need to figure out how to do a swayback on this or if it needs more room in the hips.  But since this top is rather distinctive and I've now made it 3 times - I'm not sure it'll get another go soon.  

The style elements of this top are all in the details - the pleating at the front and how the upper front wraps around to the back to create the armholes.  



I'm wearing this with a charcoal grey magic pencil skirt.  This is another piece of fabric that multiples were made from.  If you aren't sure you can wear a pencil skirt - try this one!  

There's still one more garment to share from this lovely fabric.  

7 comments :

  1. I love this top! Made me look at that style arc pattern differently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful top! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pretty and looks so good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! It's very flattering. I have a similar pattern. You've inspired me to get it out.
    Thx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this outfit. And the pattern of the fabric the top is made out of reminds me of a top that I bought in high school and was my favorite top for many years. I still own it, but don't wear it because it is too big on me now.

    I just found you because of your sewing space post on the CSC. I live in Seattle too. I'm so jealous of your sewing space! I just have a portion of the smallest bedroom in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this top!! It looks great on you and you look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours in this top and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs