February 23, 2015

Donated Shawl

 I work at a big 4 accounting firm.  Every year we do a gianormous United Way Fund drive.  The first year I was there - the OMP's EA (yep, we talk like that at work!) sent an email asking for donations for the United Way Raffle.  I didn't realize it was only for the partners.  That first year - I donated a blanket that I had made to sample circle shawls for The Princess' Wedding Shawl.  It earned $100 for United Way!  I was happy.






This year - I decided to knit a mystery shawl pattern.  This one is Through the Loops Mystery Shawl '14 - I loved the 2013 mystery shawl and figured I couldn't go wrong with this one.


Strange knitting fact about me - sometimes, I only need to knit the object - I don't need to end up with it.  I can count on one hand the number of finished knits I wanted to keep.  This one was half-way there.  I will make one for myself at some point.  

The yarn is Anzula's Nebula.  I think the name is called "Sand".  I actually waited until I found out who won it to make it.  I had bought this colorway, but I was really looking for a light grey.  I ordered some yarn called elephant online and let the winner decide which color they wanted.
Nebula is amazing yarn - it's wool with a lurex thread running through it to add sparkle.  It's soft and easy to knit with and blocks beautifully.  This shawl earned $275 for United Way and the yarn was right around $50 - not too bad.  Most likely - next year I'll donate something to the raffle as well - it's a good thing.  The young lady who won this made a point of showing me she was wearing it to the holiday party.  I think she mostly wears it in that trendy, bunched up, scarf-life way that the young kids do - but it looks great like that as well!

8 comments :

  1. It's a beautiful shawl, and so nice of you to donate despite the fact that you are not "required" to do so. I'm glad the winner was so happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! I know your co-workers look forward to seeing your hand-knits in the auction.

    With the exception of socks, I rarely keep items I knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning shawl and it was so nice of yout to donate such a beautiful item.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing. I have a few of your knitted gifts, and Sissy and I have been wearing our matching cowls this cold winter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful. It's nice to see you knitting something besides socks. You should definitely make yourself one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this shawl and love that you donated it to a great cause! You rock mama!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs