February 19, 2015

Closet of Broken Dreams


It's Done!  I've touched every single piece of fabric in the sewing space and moved it on the new shelves!  I think I love it.  there a 3 of the gorilla type shelves in the closet in what is currently the never used workout room in the basement.  it will be better when the workout equipment is gone!  

There are 4 usable shelves in each unit - the top shelves is too close to the top of the door frame to be able to get to it and store stuff on it.   For the most part - I mixed the tonal prints - striped, polka dots, tonal prints in with the solid colors and sorted by color.  I also mixed the solid knits with the wovens.  There are some exceptions.

On the shelves - from top left to bottom right the fabric is:  White, tan, black, grey, blue, brown,
Top center:  Special fabric, challis, cotton sateen, red, pink green, lining fabrics and yarn
Top Right:  dress weight cotton prints, dress weight knit prints, quilting cottons, sweater yarn stash.

Those are my 'special' fabrics and there are truly only 2 that are too special to use.  a 4 yard length of Liberty and an amazing navy blue lace - I paid more per yard for that fabric than I did for the silk for my MOB dress!  They are special - because they are scary.  Will I sew them up - sure - some day!  Are they replaceable if I muck it up?  Absolutely!  

Are you wondering about the title of this post?  As I was touching and refolding most of this fabric, I was remembering what I bought it for.  The liberty - a shirt dress; the navy lace - a Lily P sheath dress knock off.  I wasn't a vague - oh this will make a lovely dress, but, rather - I remember buying this to make Elisalex, or M6696 or another wrap dress.  and most of them haven't been made.  

I was amazed by the number of skirt lengths of wool I have and how few blouse lengths of anything I have.  

Next up - to move the old fabric cupboards out of the basement and into the garage and rearrange the furniture again - putting the cutting table under the light and the yarn cupboard under the floating shelves.  The ironing board is going under the window and the desk with the machines will jut out into the room facing the tv and sliding glass door.  It will be so much nicer to be able to see what I'm looking for quickly.  I won't need to pull bunches of fabric and put it on top of the cutting table where it overwhelms.  This should work great!  


17 comments :

  1. Okay she who dies with the most fabric wins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. When we initially packed up to move two years ago, I remember having similar wistful feelings as I packed up the bulk of my stash. Like you, I tend not to have many blouse length (or knit top/dress length) cuts--probably because those actually get sewn and don't stay in my stash for very long. Bottom-weights on the other hand...well, I'm convinced that the road to pants is paved with good intentions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I can relate too. I know what I bought each and every piece of fabric for. I just need a heck of a lot more free time to be able to sew it all. My stash is my happy place, though. I like to sift through it for inspiration sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH how wonderful.. It is amazing what we find we have, once we start pulling it out and putting it elsewhere. I love the folding and remembering.. Happy sewing... This room is going to be fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing stash and I am quite envious of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, that's lovely! Look at all that careful folding! One of these days, I need to get my fabric out of its bins and onto shelves (or maybe drawers, since it's in a closet with a cat litter box). Totally agree--it is super annoying to have to pull everything out to find one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay I have a problem with the title of this post - it's not broken dreams - it's potential, new journeys and more possibilities. Just because you haven't made them yet doesn't mean that you can't in the future! Can't wait to see it in person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job of organizing your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So jealous. I need my fabric out of bins. Sadface.

    Your collection is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Carolyn about the title, but(!) I love the way that the fabric looks all organized on your shelves! And now that you have had your hands on every single piece of fabric, maybe you will feel inspired to make!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look so organized - I just did this recently myself and it feels so much better to see everything in one place! It's like your own little fabric shop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful reorganization! You have such pretty colors and patterns there. I hope this helps you to better figure out what you want to create!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This should make it easier to mix and match. I buy fabric for certain projects too, even if I never do get to them. It's nice to work in an organized area. Maybe someday I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so impressed! What great organization. Wanna' come to my house and declutter and get me back in the organized world again?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That must feel amazing! It's so good when you get to have your stash organised and ready to rock!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - I have fabric envy. It looks lovely and organised. You won't know yourself after everything has it's spot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your fabric shelves look nice! As far as the top shelves being unusable - can you drop the top shelf down a couple of notches? They might not be good for fabric, but what about rolls of interfacing, tracing paper and such?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs