Abby of Blue Ginger Doll released a new pattern, the Odette dress. I've been waiting for this one for a long time! It's always exciting for me when I'm asked to test sew a pattern. I enjoy the process and hope I end up with a fabulous finished project. In this case - I really do feel like I'm the winner!
I worked on this dress over several weeknights while JB was in night school refreshing his emissions certification. I also worked on some new techniques for me. This dress includes my first hand picked zipper. I have to tell you - I was positive the zipper was gonna just fall out the first time I wore it - but it hasn't! I also did loads of catch stitching to finish the bodice lining.
The observant will notice that the skirt is slight too big for me. Nope - I don't have any idea how big my hips are. Maybe someday I'll figure it out. In the meantime, this is wearable. The super observant will notice that I don't have an insert in my bodice neckline. That is totally my fault. I messed up the button placement. I have the insert by the sewing machine to fix it - but honestly I just wear the dress without it. The slit is not so low as to be inappropriate for work.
|This one's for Nessa - posterior for posterity|
For the first time ever - I needed a forward shoulder adjustment. I did NOT follow Heather B's lovely tutorial on adjusting the sleeve - which I will do for next time. And there will be a next time! I have fabric set aside for at least 2 more versions. and speaking of Heather B - did you see her Odette Skirt hack? As this was my first forward shoulder and a bit of a different neckline - I totally messed it up. But I know what I did and will fix it on the next version. The shoulder seams are very narrow. They stay on my shoulders just fine, but you can see my bra straps. I keep meaning to add strap keepers - but it hasn't happened yet. Someday. . .
I used a polished cotton with stretch. The bodice is lined with purple batiste and so are the fronts of the pockets. The pocket backs are fashion fabric. As I mentioned, there are some changes I will make to the next version - make the skirt a smaller size, fix the forward shoulder adjustment that I did - the shoulder seam is in the right place, but the shoulders shouldn't be so wide/the seam so narrow, and follow Heather's tutorial for adjusting the sleeve to match.