September 13, 2014

Odette



Abby of Blue Ginger Doll released a new pattern, the Odette dress.  I've been waiting for this one for a long time!  It's always exciting for me when I'm asked to test sew a pattern.  I enjoy the process and hope I end up with a fabulous finished project.  In this case - I really do feel like I'm the winner!  


I worked on this dress over several weeknights while JB was in night school refreshing his emissions certification.   I also worked on some new techniques for me.  This dress includes my first hand picked zipper.  I have to tell you - I was positive the zipper was gonna just fall out the first time I wore it - but it hasn't!  I also did loads of catch stitching to finish the bodice lining.


The observant will notice that the skirt is slight too big for me.  Nope - I don't have any idea how big my hips are.  Maybe someday I'll figure it out.  In the meantime, this is wearable.  The super observant will notice that I don't have an insert in my bodice neckline.  That is totally my fault.  I messed up the button placement.  I have the insert by the sewing machine to fix it - but honestly I just wear the dress without it.  The slit is not so low as to be inappropriate for work.

This one's for Nessa - posterior for posterity


For the first time ever - I needed a forward shoulder adjustment.  I did NOT follow Heather B's lovely tutorial on adjusting the sleeve - which I will do for next time.  And there will be a next time!  I have fabric set aside for at least 2 more versions.  and speaking of Heather B - did you see her Odette Skirt hack?  As this was my first forward shoulder and a bit of a different neckline - I totally messed it up.  But I know what I did and will fix it on the next version.  The shoulder seams are very narrow.  They stay on my shoulders just fine, but you can see my bra straps.  I keep meaning to add strap keepers - but it hasn't happened yet.  Someday. . . 



I used a polished cotton with stretch.  The bodice is lined with purple batiste and so are the fronts of the pockets.  The pocket backs are fashion fabric.  As I mentioned, there are some changes I will make to the next version - make the skirt a smaller size, fix the forward shoulder adjustment that I did - the shoulder seam is in the right place, but the shoulders shouldn't be so wide/the seam so narrow, and follow Heather's tutorial for adjusting the sleeve to match.

16 comments :

  1. this is really lovely! the neckline shape is wonderful & a great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress and actually prefer it without the insert! When I first saw it I wondered if I could raise the neckline and just have it a deep v - clearly I can! I think it's lovely and can't wait to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I prefer it with the insert, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my comment got eaten, so I'm going to try again. The first thing I noticed was the neckline. I love the width and the vee. I say leave the insert out. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another attractive dress for your wardrobe. You find the most wonderful prints: I'd love to go fabric shopping with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My, that dress is lovely. Fantastic work as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress! I actually like the insert in the sample photos for this dress, but it's great to see that the V isn't so low that the insert is a necessity. I like it without the insert, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dress! I like it without the insert too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty dress....and your smile shows how happy you are with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like it, even without the insert! I'm glad you've found another pattern you like. You always look so good in your florals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking good baby! The fabric is just perfect for this dress. You've also got my wheels turning about making a version without an inset. Really like that look on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning - you and the dress!! Press it and bring it east. It's amazing and you radiate in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty ! I love your dresses, but especially the floral ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely dresses !!! Your blog is my best sewing blog ever !!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs