July 10, 2023

Gingham Anyone?

 If you've made McCall's 7969, there's a good chance you've made it out of gingham.  I mean, I see many gingham versions when I scroll the hashtag on instagram.  And ever since retiring my all time favorite gingham ESP dress, I've needed a new gingham dress in my life. So, it was a no brainer to make another #M7969, just like the first.


The only thing I did different in this dress was to add pockets.  And omit a snap at the cross-over front, but I think I'm gonna add that. 

For the hem on this one, I cut 4" wide bias strips from the scraps.  I sewed them all together. Then, I sewed the bottom of the dress and the bias strip together, with the right side of the bias against the wrong side of the dress.  This was the seam was enclosed.  Sewed, serged, pressed and then top stitched the top of the band down.  I also stitched around the bottom. 

This dress is soo easy to wear.  I bought the fabric at Belmont Fabrics.  It was in their precut section and it's a poly blend of some sort, but it managed to stay cool in the heat and humidity of our corner of Pennyslvania.

Carolyn and I both wore McCalls 7969 when we took a roadtrip up to see Julie at FabricMart.  Isn't it great how different fabrics make the same pattern so unique? 
Seriously, find yourself a friend like Carolyn to take your photos.  I promise you won't be made about it. 


Have you made McCall's 7969 yet?  If not, what's stopping you?

5 comments :

  1. Cute! Great sleeves, and I love the shoes you're wearing in the group shot. So nice that you and Carolyn get to meet up in person from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! How are you doing? I love those shoes too. Got them at Shoe Carnival and wish I'd gone back and bought the black pair too.

      Delete
  2. I love gingham. The dress is adorable. Now you need a gingham apron to wear over it. I am tempted to make myself one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never wear an apron, unless I'm canning fruit - then I always do, because we must save the dresses! Have you seen the adorable dress-like aprons that folks are making. So cute!!

      Delete
  3. It's a good dress and our dresses are so different but from the same pattern envelope. And you know I will take your pictures anytime!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs