September 20, 2018

Full Legged Pants

Last year, we had a very lovely guest from England who looked so put together every.single.day.    What was she wearing?  Beautiful floral wide legged pants and a slim tee.  Sometimes with a scarf thrown around her neck, but often not.  
Clearly, I could skip the ice cream
I have lusted after that outfit.  I mean - seriously lusted.  I want to look that sleek, polished and put together.  This outfit is not quite it - but it's getting there.  After seeing KS Sews make McCalls 7757, I knew I wanted them.  So, the pattern number was added to my list of  "Must Buy" patterns and picked up at the next sale.


They were sewn up in a rayon that I had received from Carolyn in a give away she had years ago.  Way before it would have been fishy for me to win ;)  I paired them with an ogden cami (but we aren't talking about that now). 


By the time I made necessary adjustments - added at the center front and center back waist and added at the hip - the hemline was over 36" around!!  Each leg!  I can see wrinkles in this photo from my hip to the inside of my knee - but I have no idea what that's trying to tell me.  Also, with the hem this big, it was hard to walk.  My shoe would get caught in the hem - not good.  


While they are very comfortable, this wasn't the sleek, chic look I was going for.  I have since altered the pattern to be a little less full at the waistline, a little lower in the back, and a little less full (okay, a lot) at the hemline, but still giving the allusion of falling straight from the hip.  

here you can see just how big the hem is


I don't think the ogden is doing me any favors in the silhouette department.  Since taking these in, I have worn them with a fitted white tee and got good feedback from my knitting group.  I just haven't made another pair yet.  That's next up on the cutting table.   

4 comments :

  1. I think you nailed your own critique. The ogden cami doesn't look that good with them. I am sure the fitted tee looked good. Also, they do appear to be a bit wide at the bottom. I am glad you are making another pair, because they do look nice and I think when you get all the issues worked out, they will be a great pair of pants for you. If you have some tencel or a light weight wool you might try that for fall. I really like them on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good. The fabric looks divine. I find that wide leg pants have a tendency to catch on my heels. I started hemming higher in the back and it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay your "fishy" comment made me hollar! I'm glad you're reworking these pants because the fuller pant look is so comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the wide leg silhouette isn't your best, but probably if it's narrowed a bit, it would look great. It's nice that you were able to find some inspiration and put it to good use, though.

    ReplyDelete
LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs