May 27, 2016

Whole 30


Since last last year - I've been thinking about doing a Whole 30.  If I lost a pound or two that would be a bonus - but really I had some underlying health issues.
I have thyroid issues, I wasn't sleeping more than about 3 hours a night, I had heartburn more often than not, I woke up with a migraine level headache 14 out of 15 days and I had no energy at all.

I really, really had to work up to this.  I first mentioned it to JB in August last year.  I googled some blogs, I looked at recipes, and I watched as a few of my sewing friends on InstaGram went through their Whole 30s and posted food photos.



I bought the book in January and started reading it.  All while just thinking about it.  Finally - I picked a date to start.  Carolyn was coming to visit and there were some food events happening and I didn't want to be 'that person' - so I started my Whole 30 on Monday, February 29th.  With the exception of a few days around Day 30 - I haven't even really had a hard time.   I also haven't had heartburn or a headache since early March.  I'm sleeping 7+ hours of sleep a night and I have energy.  I've even started working out regularly.  I feel good.  Oh - and the side benefit - I've managed to drop 25#.

I've done all 5 of my reintroduction days with no real horrible results - although I did have a slight allergic reaction to sugar - which seems strange but honestly refined sugar makes the roof of my mouth itch!  Last Sunday - I had dairy, grains & sugar - thanks to a sewists brunch and quiche and a lovely cake.  I had to try both of them.  Sunday afternoon I was sewing and having issues with fitting a garment - nothing unusual - but honestly - I was livid, and so angry!  Now - a few days later - I'm wondering if it was the combo of foods that I hadn't eaten in a while.

At this point - the middle of May - 10 weeks after starting this 'experimental journey' I feel great and am mostly still eating compliant - by choice.  It's not horribly hard and honestly - I enjoy how we are eating and am surprised at how good real food tastes!

So - have you done a food experiment?  What were your results?  Did you immediately go back to your prior eating?  Did you find it hard?  Do you think my observations are weird?  Talk to me - I want to hear about it.

7 comments :

  1. The goal should be to eat mostly vegetables, fruits, and some lean protein. This is the diet recommended to all type 2 diabetics and heart patients. I know people like food plans like Whole 30 or Paleo, but in summary that is pretty much what you wind up with. We have been eating this way for several years now, it does affect your health very positively and you do lose the taste for sugar quickly. Most sweets taste way too sweet now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very encouraging and incredibly informative! It's so easy to overlook that connection between what we put into our bodies and how our bodies function. I've been considering the Whole 30 (and paleo diets in general). I've done food elimination before and realized that I can not eat ANY artificial sweetners.

    Awhile back I had a horrible headache and could not figure out the culprit. I came home from work, ran to the bathroom and started rummaging through the trash (while being majorly side-eyed by my husband). It was the toothpaste! I'd tried a 'sensitive' version and the sweetner was the culprit!

    I may give it a shot! Congrats on achieving sleep again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't done a food experiment (and I like that descriptor much better than 'diet' because what we eat IS our diet) in some years, but I do understand the 'itchy' mouth you describe. Hazelnuts. Walnuts. Trattoria Mitchelli had a dish that I loved that did me in with that.

    I do applaud your sticking to it to find out what works and what doesn't. Aging changes us in so many ways; for me, the postmenopausal life is all upsidedown from the previous, and sleep is a hard-won thing now.

    I appreciate and celebrate your sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you have found something that works for you! Through the Whole 30 I realized that grains don't agree with me, and I have now been gluten-free for about a year, and I feel so much better. I still eat too much sugar, and not enough vegetables, but I'm trying to change that too. You look great G - your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome Gaylen!!! Congratulations!!! I really like everything I've heard about Whole 30. Maybe something to try. You've been motivating me the past few months when I've been in a slump. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are pretty inspirational! I have thyroid issues and acid reflux. I most certainly feel better when I eat better. I don't think your observations are weird at all. I have considered doing Whole 30, but I just hate restrictive diets, which probably really means I should do it. I guess I love sugar too much and don't want to face it. My part time healthy eating isn't really getting me anywhere. I have really enjoyed all of your posts from your Whole 30 journey. It has made me think about my priorities and I'm ready to get back to eating a healthy diet again. I have done well in the past but find that it is especially difficult to take the time to prepare healthy food when I am tired and not feeling well- which is when I need it most.
    Congratulations on the wonderful changes you have seen as a result of this food journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weight loss is a great side benefit from you feeling so much better. I've always been a light sleeper, and had trouble getting to sleep, so the net result is that I sleep 3 to 5 hours a night for 2 or 3 nights, and then sleep really hard one night. My dearly beloved has been snacking like there's no tomorrow since the fire, gained about 15 pounds, and was wailing about it to his cardiologist last week. The guy told him exactly what I've been telling him: lay off the snacks, eat less starch at dinner, and you'll stop gaining and start losing weight. He took it to heart and has lost 3 pounds in the last week.

    And around Christmas, when there's lots of candy and desserts around, after 2 or 3 days, I'll get sugar overload, and be unable to eat anything except meat or veggies for about a week until my body gets itself back in balance. So your body chemistry realigning itself makes perfect sense to me. I hope it continues along as well for you!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs