March 25, 2015

Expo Wrap

 While I haven't shown you a great photo of my expo spoils or really done a blow by blow recap - I have already sewn up a piece of fabric bought at Expo - 2015.  

While standing and having fabric cut at the vogue Fabrics booth and Carolyn was visiting with Shams - I spotted this fabric that I hadn't seen before on the other side of the cutting table.  It was screaming at me - screaming - wrap dress!!  

So - I went over and grabbed the roll.  I don't remember exactly how much is was, but I think it was a special at $3 a yard and I bought 4 yards.  I still have enough left over to make a magic pencil skirt - I just have to decide if I want to make it for one of my girls, or myself.  

Since I have 7 versions of my TNT wrap dress pattern - and I seem to have a collection of wrap dress patterns - I decided it was time to try a different one.  This time I went with New Look 6301.  This is a mock wrap with a full or straight skirt option and sleeve variations.  



I did my usual - trace the bodice patterns.  I traced a straight 16 in the bodice, made no changed to the front or sleeves, but I did do my usual and took 2" of length out of the center back.  Looking at photos of the back - it still looks like there is some extra length back there.  

For the skirt - I used the same pattern piece for the front and back - I saw no reason for there to be a seam in the center back of the skirt.  I added 4" of length to the skirt at a random spot below the hip and another 2" at the bottom.

The fabric is a very spongy knit - which felt like it had a cotton content.  It was lovely to cut, press and sew.   I really liked the muted pattern on the reverse side of the fabric.  So, after consulting friends, I used the wrong side to bind the neckline and for the ties.  I also added a pieced section to the ties - I had everything cut out when Niema told me she'd made this dress and the ties were short.  

Construction was mostly done on my sewing machine, with the seams finished on the serger and then pressed open.  Although it doesn't look like it in the photos - the hem hangs even and I turned it up and pressed a 1.25" hem.  On the sleeves - I pressed the hem to the right side, stitched up and then trimmed the fabric away close to the stitching line. I did this on the sleeve hems - so the contrast was in 3 placed - neckline, sleeve hems and waist ties.  

This dress was quick to make and was easy to wear.  I paired it with black nylons and my red patent pumps.  These poor shoes are soo old - but they don't get worn very often.  Generally only with a black and white print dress - for some reason - that combo just demands red shoes!

14 comments :

  1. Oh my, your dress is just lovely and looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, and the red shoes complement it perfectly. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it.. nothing like a wrap dress. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great on you and so comfy to wear! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress is beautiful and love the red shoes. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the dress. I have not made a wrap dress in a lot of years. Not sure why I am not giving it a try. The style is flattering on everyone I see wearing them, yours is no exception. I like this paired with the red shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great!! And what an awesome deal on fabric! PS: I love the red shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good looking dress! I like that color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is very pretty!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Gaylen, yes I'm still around and have continued to follow your posts.

    The cut and drape of this dress looks very good on you, as does the length, especially because your fine ankles and fuller calves look so good with this garmments length and shape . It is all super flattering for you, and then you added the just delicious red patent leather shoes.

    I hope you felt as good as you look in these shots. Sending love and care,

    Michelle, downunder in Wellington, NZ, and my current tabby-cat, Megs

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVELY dress and photos! Almost inspires me to find my sewing machine and think about classes... almost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab dress. It is sure to become a go to dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dresses and this one is especially pretty! I have been sewing for many years but have been away from it for a while. It amazed me, when I tried to sew a shirt recently, that I couldn't remember how to do certain things. It is a case of use it or lose it! Keep turning out those lovely dresses and skirts. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs