August 21, 2017

Pressing Matters

One of the other things that Miss Carolyn suggested that JB make is the multi-point pressing tool with attached clapper.  I'm sure there is a different 'real' name for this - but that's what I'm calling it.  The tool at the top has many uses - to get into corners - I can't wait to use this to press tiny little collars on sweet dresses for Miss E.  Plus there's the matter of my Fall wardrobe being filled with buttondown shirts - it will happen.

While perfecting the shape of the tool, JB created an interesting point.  It's curved from the widest spot of the piece to the point.  This allows it to be stronger and get into tight spots.  The top of the tool measures roughly 3/4" wide.

Along that top edge you can press a sleeve seam or any seam really.  The wood on all the tools is unfinished and has been sanded smooth so it won't catch on any fabric you happen to be using.  And that tiny little curve on the back end - well you can press curves over it too.


The arc for your hand varies in height from 2" to 2 1/2" depending on the stock he had to work with for the multi-point handle.  But, I haven't felt one that is 'tight' for my giant hands.  The tool fits comfortable in your hand, allowing you to use the handle to apply pressure when using the clapper.


We've already sold a few since this photo was taken, but aren't the colors in the various woods beautiful?  I've put up individual photos on the Pressing Matters tab (up top).  All of the tools sell for $40 and ship in a medium flat rate box.   We have been including a little bonus tool in the box as well.  We are willing to ship anywhere in the world.  If you are interested - click over to the Pressing Matters tab, leave a comment with the number of the tool you would like and a way to get in touch with you.   I'll reply to your comment and send an invoice via paypal.

If you would like a coordinating set with shoulder curve and multi-point let me know.  The shoulders will all be oak, but the base can match either the 'handle' or the clapper portion of your multi-point tool.

3 comments :

  1. Yes, they are beautiful - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! When I saw the prices in catalogs, I asked my retired furniture maker/home builder father if he would be so kind as to make me some pressing tools. They are my greatest sewing treasures. This will be treasured for generations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and practical! I think I may need one, if I ever get sewing again!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs