Back to the drawing board. I spent a good part of Sunday working on New Look 6095. I have long wanted a proper sheath dress. Not one with princess seams, but a dress that fits and hangs from the shoulders. Very similar to what Carolyn builds most of her 'inspired by dresses' from.
Today, I traced New Look 6095. It's a very simple sheath dress with fish eye darts in the back and an angled bust dart in the front. Nothing else.
I traced a 16 from the shoulders through the bust, 18 at the waist and essentially a 24 at the hips. Oh, and I tried something new while tracing - I marked the size I wanted to use and then pivoted it to the size 16 and drew the line in. This kept the curves smooth between the sizes.
Then I grabbed a brushed cotton print. It's black and grey on a yellow background. When I started - I sorta didn't care if it fit or not. But I really like the print. I also made the cap sleeve more of a short sleeve.
I sewed the darts in, put the zipper in the back - but left those darts out, sewed the shoulder seams, set in the sleeves. The sleeves have a bit too much length, causing some fullness in the cap. And then I basted the side seams.
I've bought The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting to see if I can figure it out. I have enough fabric left recut the back and the sleeves. But of course I serged the raw edges as I was putting it together.
Hopefully this book will help and I can figure it out. Next time - I'll use real muslin. Although it does get frustrating to spend what little time I have at the sewing machine working on garments that will never see the light of day.