June 13, 2011
The dress is Monique from Sew Serendipity. I adore the way Kay Whitt combines fabrics into a single garment. I love the silhouettes she uses.
I will say - this dress is just a smidge too large for me through the bodice and the fabric I used is too heavy for the style. I used an Amy Butler print that was in the cupboard. I didn't have a coordinating print to break it up - but it was a muslin. I am hoping it will soften up with washing.
I am thrilled with the pattern alterations I made to this - I lowered the bust dart by an inch. I also moved the dart from the waist to the bust toward the side by about half an inch. With the exception of being just a smidge too large - the fit of the bodice is perfect.
Rather than using the facings - I used bias tape on the neckline and armholes. I turned the bias tape to the inside leaving it to just peak out at the edges - like piping.
Verdict - I will make it once more in a thinner, more drapy cotton before I decide.