January 19, 2010

Obsess Much

Some of you know that we had some employment issues this summer. We are lucky that they were resolved quite quickly.
However, I promised myself that once they were resolved. I was going to purchase a sock club membership. So - I polled my girls over at Ravelry and asked them "if you could only have one sock club what would it be?" I got lots of good answers and links to several sock clubs - none of which I'll be sharing - just because.
The one that had the best reviews also had a huge price increase this year. Yes, I could still afford it - but do I need it? Instead, I took an idea I had seen on Brit Knitter's blog regarding her brown bag sock club. The idea was discussed on the stash sock group over on Ravely and I decided to pull some of my yarns that I love - but am not sure what to do with them. I have idea for a few of these balls but not all of them. Anyway - last Thursday I headed down to the studio, got out the swift and ball winder and spent hours winding and dividing yarn into cakes ready for knitting socks. They have all been put into brown paper lunch sacks and as soon as I have a finished pair of socks I'll pick a bag and get started.

9 comments :

  1. I think it's a great idea. I used a similar system for housework a couple years ago. Some rooms are easier to clean (you know, the real deep cleaning) than others, so I wrote the name of each room on a slip of paper and put them in a box. I drew out a paper and that was the next room I would tackle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was such a thing as a sock club. But then, there's doubtless a lot I don't know. I liked your linked post, and Emma was very cute selecting the yarn. Now, there's an excuse for Sue and Fudge to visit you, so he can select your yarn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to use Sue's idea for decluttering. What to tackle next is so overwhelming that I do nothing.

    And might I point out that you are part of a sweet sock club, and we have another shipment in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Marjie in not knowing about sock clubs. What are they? You pay for yarn and sock pattern to come to you each month? Something like that?

    I like the idea of creating your own sock club, but maybe you should include 1 empty bag so you can pick out something new to keep your interest. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that idea! Your own personal sock club, plus you are using up your stash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of ball winding! :) They look yummy sitting there waiting.

    I've been seriously thinking of making a "cleaning weekly calendar". Put one chore on there a day cept Sunday & maybe I'll keep the house clean & it won't be such a drag every weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There're some pretty colors sitting there. I'll look forward to seeing the finished products. You knit beautiful socks !

    Count me in with those who didn't know about sock clubs - I joined Ravelry but havan't looked around the groups very much. Maybe I ought to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't take any credit for the Brown Bag Sock Yarn club. I read about it on Donna Lee's blog: http://whatyouthinkongrows2.blogspot.com way back in December of 2008. It was fun, but I'm not doing it again this year, since I haven't knit all of the brown bag sock yarns from last year. Maybe next year. Maybe I'll be a real maverick (:-)) and start it mid year. I'm just a wild and crazy knitter!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs