April 18, 2019

Style

Several years I ago I did a “what style am I drawn to” exercise with my ASG girls. Almost every single thing I pulled from the fashion mags that year was solid color neutrals – navy, grey, brown, some peach green, and a tiny bit of red – for colors, but mostly all solids.


Styles: pencil skirts, sheath and shirt dresses, turtlenecks and twin sets. Very classic looks.



As I revived my blog - I found this very old draft post and it still seems appropriate today as I find my way.  I am a dress girl, but my life is no longer dress up.  It's far more casual.  So, now that we're almost 3 years into this B&B gig all of my beautiful cotton work dresses are out of my closet.  And I've said bye-bye to the wool dresses as well. But I still can't bear to part with my work shoes, although, I think they aren't long for my closet. 



These days, I'm getting inspiration from Carolyn as she builds her Chicos Chic wardrobe; Megan with her gorgeous pembroke dresses; and Gillian and her swing dresses.



Share your comfortable, casual, easy to wear and feel put together patterns with me - please.  While I don't really enjoy wearing jeans, I am so inspired by Carolyn's shirt collection and have quite a collection of shirting fabrics of my own.  I did a quick search of Coldwater Creek, Dress Barn and J. Jill for some inspiration garments - guess it's time to get sewing! 


8 comments :

  1. A look you might like, that is comfy, casual, yet put-together might be a tunic with leggings, either long thicker leggings for winter or capri length for summer in lighter-weight knits. I've looked at 'The Tunic Bible' and it has oodles of variations to keep a person interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karel, I'll take a look at the tunic bible - it's really hard when everything changes. g

      Delete
  2. Honestly, I find dresses really comfortable, and wear them a lot. I wore a skirt and top yesterday (which I made last week), and was horrified to find that the skirt was 2" too big in the waist. Since that one is one of my favorite patterns, I guess I should be pleased?

    I've been making a lot of tee shirt style dresses, and pullover dresses in stretch knits. They're so easy in the morning: just choose one and you're ready to go. And I got a lovely compliment on my dress from the supermarket manager today. That made me feel really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice when you get 'unsolications' isn't it? I love tee dresses too! And yes - you should be pleased that your skirt is too big!! Eat something. g

      Delete
  3. I like those last three dresses in your post, especially the last one. Because I'm constantly running in and out I wear a lot of leggings with tunics or long shirts. They're comfy and look put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those last 3 are just about perfect! I have knits in the fabric closet - not to just make some. g

      Delete
  4. I love dresses too but had to give them up for late fall/winter where I've moved to jeans and leggings with my beloved shirts. Seriously love shirts now and own way tooo much fabric to make more of them. But spring is here and it's finally getting warm so I will be moving back into the land of dresses and maxidresses until late September. Though I understand how wearing dresses is hard to do at the B&B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about the dress love. Sometimes it bothers me, often it doesn't. Your wardrobe is fabulous! g

      Delete
LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs