Way back in October - Neemie posted a photo of a beautiful dress she made inspired by a dress Carolyn had pinned.
My dress was inspired by Neemie's pin! I literally ran out and bought the pattern and then started rooting around in my stash for fabric. My stash does not contain a lot of solids - but that section is growing. I've had this conversation with many people - and for me - dressed head to toe in solids I feel like a barn - like there is just so much of one color coming at you. I know many of you disagree - that one color head to toe is slimming - but I don't feel it. So I tend to shy away from it.
This dress started wit the print and then I added the solids - both of which came from the stash - actually nothing new was bought for this dress with the exception of the pattern - Vogue 8944 and I've now made it twice with 1 or 2 more versions playing in my head.
This dress was done - but for the hem when Carolyn arrived. She hated the coverstitching I had added - so I picked it out on that first day. The white and the red are both doubled as they were a bit sheer. The sleeves are a single layer of fabric as is the skirt. I've added pockets to this dress. Who am I? I used to hate pockets!!
The dress was quickly finished on Sunday morning and then we went out into the yard to take photos. Carolyn really is an amazing coach - while I'm still amazing self-conscious - it was quick and easy to get through these photos - and it took no more time to take all of these than the 4 quick crappy photos I generally get from hubby. All of the photos of this dress where taken by Carolyn. The real test will come when we try to get photos of the new dresses.
|In Homage to Mary|
I really do like this pattern - it's quick to make and works in various fabrics. The green scuba knit version is a bit 'stiffer' and the skirt is fuller. This one is flirty. I do wish the back was cut up - and I will do that in a future version - because there will be more.
Alterations between this version and the first? I pivoted the center front of the top front piece about 1/4" off the fold line at the seam line. I hope that make sense - I should have taken photos. Basically, I overlapped the 2 bodice pieces at the seamlines, then marked 5/8" from the top on the upper bodice piece and then drew in a 'place on fold line' starting at 1/4" at the 5/8" mark and tapering to nothing at the waist seam. I realize that changes the grain slightly - but I don't care - it took care of the gaping at center front that I was getting without having to adjust anything else.
Getting these 2 dresses finished with Carolyn's help, going to expo with 4 other fabulous ladies, running into others and making new friends, along with these great photos and the tips have really sparked my urge to sew.