March 24, 2014

Not Much Going On

Emery
I haven't been doing much sewing lately.  I had a bit fail back in January and I'm just not sure what I want to be sewing now. 

Carolyn posted last month or possibly back in January asking if you were the sewist you wanted to be.  I was loving sewing a quick knit dress during the weekend and sometimes two.  But this post triggered something and I've been stewing and mulling it over. 

I want to sew more tailored, fitted clothing.  Which is funny - because I tend to want to dress like  Dolly Clackett - which isn't a bad thing at all, it just isn't necessarily the image I want to project at my (been there almost a year - so can't keep calling it new) job. 


Flora
There are a few patterns I have been mulling over since reading Carolyn's post.  I want to try Emery.  I still want to make By Hand London's Elisalex and I just ordered flora.  I love the square neck and want to see how that pleated circle skirt is made.  I can see adding that skirt to lots of different bodices.  And Simplicity 2444 is that list of woven patterns I want to make up. 

The biggest problem is that I don't want to spend a bunch of time working out fitting issues.  With a wedding looming in my future, I'm spending some quality time working on my diet. 

So - in the meantime - I've been quilting.  And knitting.  And reading your blogs.  Hopefully I'll have some new sewing soon. 

12 comments :

  1. Hmmmm, I think your sewing issues are the same as my knitting issues. The fair isle hat is not being my friend. So, I shelved it. Frustrating because it was the first time I have picked up any knitting in months. Last night though, I pulled out my shawl and started to work on it. The topline of it is a little wonky, but I am hoping it will all work out? Regardless, it felt good to knit. Odi was NOT impressed, but he just needs to work it out with himself, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have shelved projects because hey were frustrating me, but later discovered it wasn't the project itself but the pattern I had selected. I hope you can find a pattern that allows the vision in your head to become reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fitting issues, those time suckers! LOL. Sounds like you have a great plan and I like the pattern. Good luck with the quilting and the diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you posting again :-) I've had a couple of 'duds' lately too.....You've picked out some cute dresses to make, and those pesky fitting issues take time, but it's so rewarding to have that perfect fit. My daughter is getting married this year, too, so we are in the same boat. I need to step up my exercise regimen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate fitting issues. Knit dresses work out OK for me, because I can just nip and tuck if need be (but if it's too small, that's a problem, and off to one of the girls it goes), but with wovens, I am very leery. I hope you're having success with the diet, and for pity's sake, concentrate on the dress for the wedding. Those pictures will be around for a very long time! I'd pick a color you love, and then try to figure out what the dress should look like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the same boat as you, not happy with my current figure, so instead of struggling with fitting issues I too am creating quilts and knitting! At least we're keeping our creativity going and when the body stuff gets sorted we'll be all ready and motivated to tackle dressmaking again!
    Weddings are great for giving us a goal to aim for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not being too close with my sewing machine, all I can do is wonder why you don't think Dolly's image is the one you want to project for work? I'm guessing it's not sober and professional enough?

    This from the prepster who now wears Lilly P and cowboy boots to work... the guys have quit worrying about ruining my clothes, but I can't wear dresses and jump in and out of fire trucks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everybody needs a break every now and then. Relax!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boo to fitting issues! But hey, your knitting and quilting are superb. Sometimes taking a step back is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fitting is the key and can be frustrating. Can you have someone else help you pin the garments on you so that you get a better fit. Much of sewing and fitting is just practice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a beginner to sewing and like you admire Dolly Clackett so Roisin suggested I start with Retro Butterick B4758- it's an easy pattern and I offer alter/adjust after completing the whole dress as I'm no perfectionist!! Hope you find a good pattern for you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. More fitting dresses would probably be more flattering dresses, but with an every changing shape (like we have in our family) it is tricky to work on fitting issues only to have them change on you when you are done. You will look great at the wedding! xo, K

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs