March 15, 2009

Not A Sock

More thanks need to go out to Camilla, Clementine and Debbie Bliss. A couple of Springs ago, I had the idea for a skirt. It was a lined black and white graphic print made out of my favorite KS skirt pattern. The lining was nice white muslin, edged with handmade lace. I found a great black and white print fabric. Washed and dried it, but didn't cut it out. I did cut out the lining. I even sewed it together and then hemmed it. In the process of hemming it, I used a wing needle to make little holes all around the bottom to make the lace right on the bottom of the skirt. I bought a book of crochet lace patterns, but couldn't find one that fit the idea in my head. Then I saw the new Debbie Bliss Spring 2009 magazine. There was a pattern for a beautiful lace edging on a shelf. It was fabulous. Here's where Cami came in - we were talking and I told her I bought some Trekking to make the lace and in the box was 3 balls of Rowan 4 ply cotton. I love this yarn - it's soft and really white. I was reminded tonight that it is cotton and going to be put on a washable garment. So, I worked up these little swatch samples and tossed them in the dryer. The front sample was knit on US 2 and 3s the second sample was knit on US 3 and 5s. I'm thinking that I really like the 5s the best - but I'll know for sure after it comes out of the dryer. The plan is to get some lace knit quick - enough to go around the skirt, wash it up then attach it to the already made white lining. The skirt will be hemmed so that it falls right above the "faggoting" portion of the lace. Look for this to be worn at an office near you soon.

5 comments :

  1. That sounds very pretty. I had a similar idea for my kitchen curtains. I'll wait and see how yours turns out, then make a practice piece for the curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! As long as it is washed and dried (as in dry the be-jesus out of it) I think you'll be fine. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm.....I was thinking on these same lines for kitchen curtains too. Think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever, clever. And I think this means I need to find my copy of DB spring 2009?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it'll be great! I've seen lace peeking out from hems this past year or so.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs